Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Foodie Break

I have this dream of being a major foodie and traveling all over the world just to try certain dishes from little back corner, hole in a wall, family owned restaurants. I want to be that person that casually drops this hidden place they stumbled upon that also happens to be amazing.

The problem is I actually just really like pretty much everything and I have a very American pallet {if you read that in a snotty foreign accent it's more fun}. What does that mean? I really love my condiments. Like if it were possible to be a BBQ sauce connoisseur I probably would be. I love dipping everything in something else even if it's meant to be a stand alone flavor. Ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, ranch, buffalo sauce, hot sauce- you name it and I probably have it somewhere in my fridge or pantry. I mean I showed you my fridge in my last post, you can see for yourself. Problem #2: I love everything spicy. I legitimately have three bottles of Franks hot sauce sitting in my pantry and another of Tabasco somewhere. So what does all this add up to?

Well, basically I can tell you my favorite sauces.


So while my foodie dreams may have to wait, I have started experimenting a little with my cooking of late {part of my whole real Parmesan experience if you refer back to my last post}.

I began last week with the pretzels I made. They were awesome. Amazing. Wonderful. And I got to play in the kitchen like I was in the lab so that was fun. On a side not- my compounding labs {where I am starting to formulate syrups and capsules} is going to make me a better cook, like I understand the chemistry behind some of what I do in the kitchen now so I'm better at it. Anyways.... after I made the pretzels {recipe} I was  left with a ton of artichokes. I'd cut the recipe in half, but bought way too many artichokes, so  now I'm trying all these different things with artichokes. I don't even really like artichokes that much.

I have these whole wheat bagels that I keep frozen and just thaw out when I want to eat them so I decided I was going to try and make my own version of spinach and artichoke spread bagel. And I'll admit it wasn't exactly what I was going for, but when you try and make your dip in the microwave {I had to study! This was like a 5 minute endeavor} your results aren't going to be quite the same. Plus, I tore out the inside of my bagel so I could stuff it and then managed to burn it in the toaster. It would probably be awesome if you actually made it right. I'm just a college kid on a time limit.

My latest endeavor was a knock off Starbucks caramel frappuccino. Those things are like $5 and way too many calories and I walk by two stores everyday and have to keep myself from waltzing in every time. It's quite the lesson in self restraint. I've also been drinking a ridiculous amount of coffee lately {NOW THAT ALL MY STUFF HAS FINALLY ARRIVED!} so I have my good Costa Rican stuff. But it's been 90 degrees here and a hot cup of coffee was not what I want after walking 20 minutes in the heat.

So I froze my coffee in my ice tray, threw it in a blender with some milk, and added this caramel ice-cream topping {really healthy right} and a pinch of salt. And viola, a salted caramel frappuccino that cost me nothing has probably a third of the calories and tasted pretty darn awesome if I can take a minute to toot my own horn. I think next time I'm going to try and use one of the Torani syrups because it might work a little better in a drink and I really just would like to use my caramel on my ice cream.

I may not be a foodie, but I can pretend to be Betty Crocker.


No comments:

Post a Comment