Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I hope my children love to read

There are an abundance of  decisions in this life that I have yet to make. And I'm okay with that. I'm in pharmacy school but I don't know what career path I want to follow. I don't know who I want to spend the rest of my life with despite being in a relationship with someone I care for. I know what my plans are for tomorrow but I don't know what to wear, what decisions I'll make along the course of the day, or even what I'm going to eat. And I'm okay with all that because life isn't having one big plan or a road map. Life has detours.

But there are certain decisions I have made  and one of those is that someday I want to be a mother.

No, not right now so you can take a deep breath. I don't know when, how many, or with whom. I don't know genders or have full names picked out. I'm not secretly stockpiling baby clothes somewhere.

I simply know that one day I will have someone in my life that will call me mom.

And I hope that person loves  to read.

I want to foster that  passion for words in someone other than myself. I want to share the beauty of
John Grisham, The Fault In Our Stars
escaping into your own head through black marks scratched on to blank pages. I want my child to love reading.

I want to share with them the beauty and tragedy, triumphs and sorrows, moral teachings, love, heartache, sadness,  and joy of characters whose existence  is dependent upon  someone  reading the story into which they've been written.

There are numerous reasons why I want them to read: scientific findings backed up by data analysis and studies, better schools, better jobs etc.. The real reason I want my children to love to read is that I can't wait to read with them. I can't wait to share my favorite characters with them. I want them to find the magic in Harry Potter before they see the movies. I want them to beg me to read Go Dog Go a million times. I want them to fall in love with a character. There are so many wants, but mostly I just want them to love to read.


1 comment:

  1. He, she, they will! You will read to them from day one. When they can read on their own, you will read with them. They will love to read because you will instill this in them as it was in you. They shall be so fortunate to have you as their mother.

    ReplyDelete