Thursday, April 17, 2014


Grocery lists, laundry lists, to do lists, shit lists. Lists. Lists. Lists. Lists. Lists. We all have them and we all make them {mine are usually sub-grouped, color-coded and appear to have been thrown up on by a unicorn because of all the highlighter}.

Those aren't the kind of lists I want to talk about.

Chances are that you've clicked on at least one link that popped up on your news feed with a title
along the lines of, "21 ways to..." or "10 reasons...." and my personal favorite, "9 billion things..." Of late, the trend has been for people {bloggers, BuzzFeed, Thought Catalogue, Huffington Post- you get the picture} to post these lists of varying lengths all telling the readers that they should or should not be doing something.

Reasons I'm Single
Reasons I Should Be Single/In A Reltionship
Why I Should/Shouldn't Be Engaged In My Twenties
What I Should Be Doing In My Twenties
Lessons Every Twenty-Something Should Learn
Experiences Every Person Should Have

Well you know what?

Screw your lists.

I'm tired of being defined, judged, and advised by a stranger whose name may not even be on their piece. I'm aware that I'm young. And I'm aware that at this twenty-something age I don't know what I'm doing with my life, that the majority of us don't know what we're doing.

But hell, I don't even know what I want to eat half the time.

Part of growing up is working through that confusion for ourselves. How else are we supposed to learn some of the best things about ourselves when I can't work through it myself without some list telling me how I should be living?

I don't want that.

If I need advice on the best hotel in Costa Rica or the best place to eat in Savannah, then yes, I may look to your lists. But when I want advice because apparently I'm always an emotionally-unstable-lost-confused-naive-twenty-one-year-old, then I will turn to the people in my life who I know to be older and wiser. I want my friends and families opinions and support- not the words of a stranger behind a screen.

So goodbye to your lists telling me how I should live and offering up unsolicited advice.

I'm living life unlisted.

No comments:

Post a Comment